Labels

August 23, 2019

A Monologue to No One, From a Post-Apocalyptic God Who’s Gotten a Bit Bored (Fiction)

It is September 10th, 3042, and I remain living. Not exactly surprising, given how I was turned into a literal god about 1000 years ago. Humanity had nearly wiped itself out during the 21st Century via a manufactured bio-weapon. It was a very effective weapon, but the country employing had no idea how to control it after using it. I don’t think ‘whoops’ quite covers this. Humanity nearly wiped itself out playing God. There’s probably something in here about ‘the price of hubris’ or something, and how it’s ‘arrogant to think humanity could rule in such a vast and uncaring universe.’ Frankly, I think those are sweeping statements that don’t apply to reality in any meaningful sense, but it is what it is.
Meanwhile, I’ve been here in my little hyper-dimensional nexus, with gateways all around the planet, writing things down. 
It’s at this point that I feel the need to mention what my goal is, because I apparently have nothing better to do than just monologue at a wall,  so here we go: I want to humanity to avoid the same fate that it suffered before. At first I tried a direct method of change. I tried guiding humanity, so that they wouldn’t make the same mistake again. Unfortunately, this didn’t work. At all. What instead happened was my actions caused a religious cult to form around me,  resulting in a rather massive genocide about a couple centuries after the bio-weapon ravaged everything. I guess it’s my turn to say whoops.
Suffice it to say, I decided from then on to be a bit more cautious. No more direct interference;  instead I decided to observe and to record. I wanted to understand the societies that were forming out of the ashes of the old world.  I wanted to understand their culture, their structure, and their mindset. I am as yet still observing, still recording. I am waiting for the opportune time to make my entrance once more.
Thousands of years more it may take, but until that time I shall observe and record;  until that time I shall wait.
Word Count: 350

No comments:

Post a Comment